More Maytag Mayhem

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Gave them to my son,have one for myself. Think i have a couple round briggs also.

I like what you are doing for one with the taper ends should be KOOOL,now will have to go look for some flower pots.............Curt

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the vote on the taper tank Curt. These planters are at places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels, as well as ebay. Cost $3-4 each.

L2, nothing new under the sun as they say. Fuel tank is part of the crankcase! Really cool stuff. Appears metal to metal drive on a shaped part of the rim? Obviously chain driven rollers. Must have been direct drive?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Just a thought,was wondering what they would look like if you took a little out of the center of each so it would be just a little shorter?............Curt

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Rosengart appears to have been a commercial failure. I know that steel on steel in good conditions is extremely efficient, but any water on the contact point, and it's useless.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
They are soldered Dan. The tank is finished along with the bean can tank. The Depot furnished misc. brass fittings to complete the tanks. I then sloshed sealed them, a must for the bean cans as they are prone to rust from the heat and flux from soldering. The slosh sealer I have has to be some of the best. I used a bit to seal the first Maytag bikes tank. When I went to remove the lid it would NOT come off. Actually held tight enough to pull the entire top of the can up! finally had to use a can opener!

Curt, one could shorten the planters but the cuts would have to be very straight! Otherwise an overlay for the seam would be needed and might be advisable any way for strength. The rolled edges already on the planters make an excellent valley to hold a significant amount of solder for strength, plus match perfectly. I searched and found some that were 5" instead of the 7" length these are, but was never able to find where they were again. Means they are out there some where. Actually the 14" planter tank ends right at the flywheel which seems right to me. Would be a bit too long for a transverse mount though.
Pic of the tank in its high$$ work/display stand.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Like SB said Jim Dandy! Yep shorter would give more beer keg look,but really like yours on your build. So what did you use for solder? the new stuff or good old lead 50/50.

I get excited ever time you post to see what you come up with, something new going on.awesome............Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
CB2,
You mentioned tucking a coin into a build. On one of my brass gas tank caps I soldered on the eagle side of a quarter... couple of years ago...this was on my American Flyer bike with the canoe sidecar. Wings on the eagle and all. You know. Makes the bike fly along a little better.

I won an auction on three old (1920's) Indian Head nickles (five bucks) and want to solder one onto the gas cap on my Hiawatha Indian tri-car. I think I'll wrap the edge of the coin with copper foil and tin it first... should take better that way. The quarter fought back at the indignity of being soldered.

I also usually find a place somewhere on a build for a feather... not migizii (the bald eagle), but gagagii (Mr. Raven) who is also a great flyer and king of the forest canopy come winter. I believe the feather gives a bit more lift, you know, and helps to speed bear and dog down the road of life. Ha!

Making stuff is fun. I made a copper fuel filter this weekend and am still smiling. It's purty! And pretty soon I'm going to help an old copper pot made in Portugal become a headlight for the 34 Elgin Velocipede. This stuff is such fun, isn't it? Beats golf, I'm guessing, but only played the miniature version once about a hundred years ago. It's too cold to ride here now, but it's never too cold to tinker and day dream. Your gas tank is clever and cool and different.
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the kind comments guys!
Curt I bought a Weller soldering iron at a yard sale about 3 weeks ago. I love Wellers and buy them when reasonable. This came with several rolls of Evans 40/60 solid wire from the Evans Metal Co. in Atlanta. I believe its a continuation of the Evans Plow Co. The address is so old theres no zip code. So its official old school solder. My wife uses 50/50 for her stained glass. I used her iron which is a 100w unit. Was a little in the small/cool side. A propane torch flowed it all together. I ordered a 200w iron to see if the job can be completely done that way. Any way it was fun and I want to do more projects like the tanks.

SB, your builds are an inspiration for the art of repurposing things. I have been impressed beginning with the canoe side car. There are so many small details in/on your builds. I really like your use of leather also. I ordered a buffalo leather strap to retain the tank to its bracket, your influence again!
You can be sure I read your threads looking for ideas to put my spin on, hope you don't mind.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think it was LabRat that use some leather dog colers for tank straps,but making your own is more KOOOOL...........Curt

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I used my last dog collar as a replacement strap for an antique wall hanging my wife has. Would have been perfect as it was a "veteran" with all the wear a dog can put on one. An old belt from the thrift store works well also. Will patina the new strap. Its 52" so will have plenty to work with. Will also use it in the tank cradle as padding between the two metals.
The drive parts are arriving painfully slow, so am spending time on the other parts of the build.
I think this build should be call "cantilever" as even the tank mount is of that design.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Finished the tank mount. There is a washer welded to the bottom motor end of the cradle. The fuel outlet fits snugly into the washer when the 1/4" fuel line is in place forming an isolator of sorts. The support for the cradle carries the same angle as the engine support and the seat post(well almost the magnet slipped a bit while welding). What is pretty cool the overall view is of a standard motorbike tank above engine configuration, yet equally as obvious are the curvy lines of the step thru frame. Also added is the 5.5" shorter pedal crank. It has eliminated dodging the cylinders by a wide degree. So this is the basic configuration of the finished build. Only thing left are the drive parts.

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
If you have an old fork laying around and some metal scraps you can easily build a drop stand--Im sure it has been done a zillion time before. This is in keeping with the R. Goldberg school of necessity. It now finally stands on its own instead of leaning on the wall. Two rare earth magnets clip it very securely to the seats cross bar when up.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Well, that's pretty slick. No, I've never seen that done before, but I expect we're going to see it again now. And with all the head scratching and staring at my stands it never once occured to me that magnets would work to hold one up. Well done! If I had thought of that my brother would have looked at me and declared, "You know, you're smarter than you look." Ha!
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
If you have an old fork laying around and some metal scraps you can easily build a drop stand--Im sure it has been done a zillion time before. This is in keeping with the R. Goldberg school of necessity. It now finally stands on its own instead of leaning on the wall. Two rare earth magnets clip it very securely to the seats cross bar when up.
Now that is really clever :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
It really is, CB. Built a couple of truing stands and never thought of your "CB style work stand"

Love the clever of repurposing