Thread: Easy Pedaling
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Easy Pedaling

I have used a 36 tooth gold "low rider" steel sprocket on a one piece crank- with a 22 freewheel on the back- but that was a little too big- Not real expensive- I think about $12 a year or three back.

this was after having derailleurs on freewheels on the back- great chain tensioners for the pedal crank that let you easily ignore a motor tensioner-

then I went to 3 piece alloy cranks- one is a 42 and the other a 44 I think- pedal very easy with a 22 on the back- I'm through parking lots or up sidewalks with no effort at all, and easy to pop the clutch and fly.

if you really want to save weight, you can get a tiny 25 or 26 for the front, and then use a 17 or 18 on the back- they're BOTH tiny then and that saves pedal chain and chain weight. A one piece steel Ashtabula crank is not such a weighty liability when you reduce the steel chainwheel weight with only a tiny 25. After 14 years of road cycling in my younger days, weight has always been an obsession I'm afraid. I've had an extra bike set up that way I've never built because I'm slowing down and my two builds are doing great with less use now. It's really too light to try to pedal without a motor- a real granny gear

Below- 25 tooth front on back up Huffy bike- even with some 700 x 32 mm tires this pedals incredibly easy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2141.JPG (403.8 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 11-02-2014 at 09:17 PM.