Thread: Mill/Lathe
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Mill/Lathe

Yeah, when I first saw one I drooled over it for about a month then decided to just go ahead and buy one... along with about $500 in carbide bits... lol... But anyway I'm glad I bought it because there's a LOT I can do iwth it and it can do soft metals like aluminum or brass, I've cut some gaskets from copper with it that came out really nice but found out a little quirk about copper that it work hardens untul it's tough enough to snap a bit so I'm still trying to perfect a way to anneal it, let it cut until I hear the bit start to chatter, shut it down, remove the piece, re anneal the copper, then get it back on the bed EXACTLY where it was initially then finish the cut... at least that's where I was before I opened up my auto shop and had nothing but time to throw at it... Now I'm dismantling the stuf so I can move it to the shop and put it back together in the stock room where I can start the machine and come back in an hour or so to retreive the finished product or set it up for the next cut pass... That's what's really nice about CNC.. you can turn it on, run the software, and walk away & do other things while it's cutting. You do have to test run every file tho before leaving unattended because one bad line of code can really hurt your work piece or your machine as I've bought a few G codes online that were set up inverted to what mine reads and it plunged the bit thru the wood and into the bed, then started to cut side to side, boring a hole thru the bed and snapping the bit instantly, not to mention ruining a spindle bearing and having to re calibrate the machine again... but ya live and learn...

I've learned that any code ya buy that you didn't write, it's best to read thru a few lines then do a dry run with your Z axis set a few inches above the bed as zero, then run the code and watch to see if the Z axis goes below this set zero level Before ruining an expensive block of exotic wood or metal... or parts to the machine.

I've also found some CNC kits that can be used to convert most small mills and lathes to CNC by adding motors and sensors to the control wheels but I want to keep my lathe manual until I learn it better as CNC really takes the user skill out of the picture once it's converted.