View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: Suggestions on engine to get?

Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
The 66cc engines that Dax sells on his site are of nice quality and they can handle a few extra horses if you decide to upgrade, but these are the only "China Girl" type engines I'll buy for my bikes.
Now if you want an engine that'll really rock, he also sells a 50cc KTM clone engine that puts out 9Hp in stock trim.
I'm guessing "China Girl" means engines made in China? Sounds like a romantic and pretty name for an engine that people should avoid. Or am I totally wrong? Are Chinese engines actually ok? As for the 50cc KTM clone, I'm not sure what KTM is but 9hp goes sound agreeable; I'm guessing though that even if it can do that with stock parts it still requires a bit of tweaking to get that type of performance out of it. I'm curious though why it would be that a 50cc would be preferable to the 66cc; In my experience with scooters the higher the cc, the more power, acceleration, and speed. Is there something different about gas bikes that I'm not getting here?

Plus, I'm always a bit suspicious about these sorts of things; Toyota advertised that the Prius could get way more gas mileage of what it really gets, just by saying "under ideal driving conditions" which really means "if you drive in a way that defies logic and all regular human behavior." If a big company like Toyota can get away with saying that, then I have to be a little suspicious when a small company that I'm still learning about makes grandiose claims about 9hp from a 50cc engine. Has anyone here used this particular engine, and can verify that it performs as advertised?

Another option is to buy an engine from MotorBicycleRacing as his engines are of the same quality as the Dax engines and they have been proven to withstand at least 10hp in modified condition, he also sells a 9.5Hp version of this engine for racing bikes as well as lots of really well designed and built performance parts so you could build a beast of an engine if you already have a good stock engine.
Same quality as Dax, but Dax is made in China. I'm confused. Anyway, "beast of an engine" sounds agreeable.

Another option is the DeNardis engines sold at, they are the ones who continued to build the Morini engines after Morini quit building them
I'm guessing then that Morini engines were good? Totally uneducated guess from the names, but are DeNardis and Morini based out of Italy?

Sorry for all this nitpicking; I just want to make sure I'm getting the best engine I can while still operating on a budget. I don't suppose Puch, Genuine, Piaggio, Lambretta or any of the other well known makers of scoots, mopeds, or small-frame motorcycles sell engines for mounting on bikes?

Last edited by KoOni; 08-16-2014 at 01:22 PM.