View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Huffy Cranbrook Project

Nice looking bike! Have one myself and getting the chain components fine tuned can take some time, but once you get it tracking will really enjoy the bike.

One thing I do is once I have the chain tensioner where I am happy with it is to put some JB weld one the frame where the tensioner mounts so as to prevent it from ever moving in towards the spokes. I have done this on three different builds and the JB weld has always maintained its bond to the frame.

Another thing I have found is when you mount the back tire, the chain seems to track much better if you just slightly cocked the tire to left side. Should only have about a 1/4" of clearance between the chain and the tire sidewall. I also put a slight twist in the tensioner mount as well if it appears to be out of line with the chain tracking....which it probably will due to the angle of the frame tubing where the tensioner mounts.

I usually try to maintain chain tightness of about 1/2" to 3/4" movement if you squeeze the upper and lower chain together. As you have need to mount the rear sprocket so the teeth are furthest out, and you will also want to clamp some sort of guide on the frame that goes up within 1/8" from the sprocket surface so you can spin the tire and check for sprocket wobble. You can usually fine tune this by putting a bit more torque on the spots that are running out away from your guide.

Really take your time to get your chain where it will track smooth not only running thhe bike forward, but also backwards. Once you accomplish this I think you will be quite happy. Enjoy your new cranny and I hope you have many miles of happy motoring!