View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: KC's 68cc 4-stroke 4-speed soft tail

I hate to take this thread, (which is really about this really nice bike of KC's..) further down the rabbit hole.

But, as someone who has been involved in city politics, 9 times out of 10 when you live of the edge of a rapidly expanding city like KC does in Phoenix, the loss of riding areas has little to nothing to do with 'tree huggers'. (cactus huggers?)

More likely it evolved like this, you have your 200 acres of heaven, and have a big, fast and quite possibly really loud 2 stroke desert bikes that you ride with friends. It's a riding area that you really don't know the ownership status of because, it's either not clearly marked, or it's not largely enforced because there are more pressing Popo issues.

Could be Fed, State, or City of Phoenix land, doesn't matter. While you and your friends were tearing around on this place, behind the doors at City Hall, a developer with lots of cash approaches the city, state and or feds and wants to buy the land you are riding on, to develop into more suburbs, condos, planned living areas, freeways.. And 9 times out of ten there are no 'tree huggers' even remotely involved.

Nothing happens in a vacuum, and I've been a kid riding on areas that legally I shouldn't have been on. But, because of the hassle and time to the Popo and others involved, it never becomes an issue. At least until that unused land starts to become important because of money and profit. Then it happens that land gets locked down because the new owner comes out and notices a bunch of kids tearing around on land he owns now, either the tire tracks or the presence of the bikes and riders themselves. There's liability to the owner if one of you wrecks your bike and injures/kills self, and soon up go the 'No Trespassing' signs. Soon afterwards the area gets surveyors tapes and stakes up and the bulldozers arrive.

Did the 'tree huggers' hire the surveyors and the construction crews?

Most 'tree huggers' I'm aware of have enough day to day life that they're too involved with, let alone having enough money to fight against well oiled and moneyed legal battles in court about land use.

This is not a black and white issue, and largely we can thank ourselves for making our use of the land what got us kicked off it in the first place. I'm 58 years old and have been riding trails and bikes here in Oregon since I was 14, I've seen it time and again.

This is not an issue easily summed up by some radio talkshow host's cute prejorative.