View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Smile Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Originally Posted by Cyclin View Post
Yeah it looks like those are both MM hub adapters. I may be purchasing through Jake's then, thanks for the tip. Good to see you're still around too, I think you helped me with some troubleshooting a few years ago

Quick suggestion from you if you will. The rear wheel that is on this build now is a 24" 5-speed. What sprocket adapter should I buy or would I be better served completely replacing the rear wheel with a larger freewheel hub? It looks like I may need the "5,6,7 Speed" version shown on SpookyTooth, but I am not sure if I am measuring the hub correctly. (The first time I measured the axle diameter...doh)

I haven't seen much info for that small of a diameter yet. And I do want to stay away from a coaster brake if I can, I tend to pedal backwards idly while riding and don't want to forget and hurt the bike.
Yeah I took a little time off myself about a year and a half ago, but im clicking right along again.

I've never used a hub adapter on a multi speed wheel at this point, but I do know that on Manics site he offers to make a custom bushing in whatever size thats needed, so I would consider going that route if you like the wheel you already have.

I have two bikes that im running multi speed wheels on and both are running the stock rag joint coupler, one of the bikes has an old style wheel that has the really small center hub diameter, maybe 3/4" or so, im not sure if an adapter would be a good idea on a hub that small since there wouldn't be enough surface area for the adapter to grip on and most likely all the pressure would be getting applied to just three spokes to pull the wheel.

That wheel is one that has a 5 gear free wheel sprocket set on it and if I were to ever decide to used an adapter on that bike rather than a rag joint I be looking to upgrade the wheel to one with a larger hub diameter.

Im sure there are others here than can probably advize better on the subject since I haven't ever used an adapter on a multi speed wheel, bit those are my thoughts on it.

Another consideration may be to use a coaster wheel link a Shimano hub wheel and convert it to a freewheel that eliminates the coaster brake, I know a few people on here have done it and think its an excellent set up, im thinking I will do one myself on my old huffy bike since the coaster brake has never been nearly as good as the Shimano wheels, several vidoes on youtube that shows clearly how to do the mod and several here that can tell you also.

Best wishes Cyclin and again welcome back to the family..

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!