View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Well Dave Im hoping when I get into it I dont find anything seriously junked, this engine had zero detectable side to side movement of the crank when I first built it up, the crankshaft did have a tight spot in it when rotating it, which worried me a little since things should move freely without a serious tight spot, the main concern I have is with the case, I have another engine that did this very same thing and the magneto magnet/flywheel ate into the case and destroyed the crank seal, that engine ran excellent up to that point and showed no signs of a problem until that seal got seriously damaged and then we all no what happened then, major air leak than made the engine run away with itself.

Something had to have seriously wore out in there to allow the crank to get that much side to side movement, this current engine has around 3/16" to maybe 1/4" movement..... that is a lot, I have some new seals and some new bearings, Im sure I can also make up some shims to get everything back where it needs to be.

I need to go into both of those engines now and see what has happened for sure, the older bgf engine has been sitting in the shop floor for about three years now so I guess its time to dig into that one when I get a chhance also, just trying to figure out in my head right now for sure what has happened that would allow the crank the develope that much end play.

Oh well when I get it tore down Im sure Ill see exactly what it is that's happens with both of them.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!

Last edited by mapbike; 06-23-2014 at 10:36 AM.