View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Today I pulled the top end off my Dax that is on the old 63 Western Flyer bike, this is/or was my fastest bike, I took it for an easy cruise a few days ago and noticed a serious power loss developing in the lower rpms, engine never raced as if it had an air leak or never idled funny or any sure signs of trouble, it still revved up good once the rpms came up but it became a complete DOG on the bottom end.

I figured the afternoon I needed to just pull the jug and see if I could figure out what was going on, I was hoping for a gasket issue or something simple but I was met with a very serious problem, I made a crude video of what I found, you'll have to forgive my yanking the crank around to much and the fact that I'm not much for talking about things on camera, so try to ignore the Red Neck camera work and my talking best you can.

This is my first major Dax engine failure, Not sure what caused it, but I know the lower wasn't exactly right from the get go since the crank rotation was tight and had areas that would ease up and then get tight again as it was rotated, If I had not used this lower for this high rpm build it may have lasted good for a very long time and then again maybe not, but it's for sure that this may become a parts donor now.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!