View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Advice for them as likes to replace bucking bars

Originally Posted by 2door View Post
I've seen windshield washer fluid used in place of a product called 'Heat" in diesel engines. Before I retired, the people who used to service our emergency generators kept gallons of washer fluid on the trucks to add to the fuel tanks in winter. Got my attention when I first saw it but they swore by it and we had a full service contract so if the engines messed up, they were responsible for them.

STP: LOL, I once worked for a Chevy dealership. They used to add STP to noisy differentials in the used cars. Made them quieter, that's for sure. At least until they were out the door. And, an old mechanic once told me that 'back-in-the-day' they used to mush up bananas and fill a noisy differential. He swore it kept them quiet. Now that I think about it, doesn't WD-40 sort of smell like over ripe bananas?

Wow, talk about highjacking a thread..................

I knew an old used car dealership that put sawdust in loose whining diffs back in the day, some people bought cars from him that were later found to have sawdust in the diffs after a major failure...

And on the WD-40 subject... since we are highjacking the heck outta this...LOL

Most people that use WD-40 are unaware that it isnt a lubricant but rather a water displacement W for water & D for displacement... you can spray bare metal down with WD-40 and I think it rust quicker than it would have if nothing at all had been used on it in my experience, I've seen guns that were sprayed and wiped down with it and then later taken out of the case with rust all over the barrels, it is good stuff for what it's made for but it was actually never intended to be used as a oil type lube, I use it mainly to clean with since it will help get tar and grease off of your hands and other things, but for loosening rusty bolts or nuts it stinks and for protecting against rusting it stinks in my experience. a silicone lube is best for rust prevention and oil and grease is best for lubrication, WD-40 isn't a good lube at all accept maybe to stop a squeaky door hinge or a temp squeak stop on the control arm bushings on an old car or truck, ask me how I know this one...LOL

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!