Thread: need for speed
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: need for speed

Originally Posted by crassius View Post
depending on your weight, at some point the next smaller sprocket may just bog down and go slower than the last

you are the heaviest part of this system - skip breakfast for an extra 2mph
Very true, gear optimal gearing depends on several factors, and the engines ability to pull the gearing is crucuial, I put a 28T sprocket on one of my bikes with 26" wheels and it was a performance killer, it is much faster with the current 34T than it was with the 28T and it was gutless on the hills around here with the smaller sprocket also, my engine on that bike cruises at mid 40's mph and is has good port work and several other upgrades and it pulls me at 215lbs good up to 46mph, but that engine doesn't have the grunt for a smaller sprocket than what I have on it now, maybe 2 teeth smaller would still work so so, but I think the 34T is about as small as I should go probably.

Yes weight and build profile of engine is a very important factor in determining which gearing will work best, also terrain that will be road makes a huge difference also, big hills require big sprockets period unless someone weighs about 90lbs or!

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!