Thread: need for speed
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: need for speed

Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
I agree... you'll need to run in your engine really good and it'll be faster after 300 miles or so... Then you can think about expermenting with sprocket sizes depending on your weight and how many hills are in your area... a 36 tooth will make the bike faster, but it'll also slow down it's acceleration and climbing ability considerably. The 44 tooth will give you good climb and acceleration with a moderate top speed, but it's still capable of pushing you above 40mph with sime mild engine upgrades like a good pipe, the proper carb tune, better compression by using a Puch Hi Hi head or Fred Head, and some mild porting, You can also buy a ported jug from several of the vendors in here like Arrow Racing, Fred at, Jake's, and a few others, don't fall for those so called high performance jugs sold on ebay for under $40 because they're the same thing you already got, get one from a reputable builder like those mentioned and you'll be happy.
You will need to break in your engine all over again if you buy a new ported jug but you can remove yours after break in and port it yourself if you got the ability to, or buy a ported one and break in the engine again.

With these upgrades you should be able to hit around 40mph with the 44 tooth sprocket and still have excellent acceleration, or even faster with a smaller sprocket with decent acceleration... There's a lot of hype going on with these engine upgrades so beware of what you buy and go more for the stuff that counts like compression, pipe, and porting as even a stock NT carb and stock CDI will still get you up to the speeds you're looking for

I'll also add that I have run a 41T sprocket that still gives good low rpm power but adds 3-4 mph to top speed.

Also Jake's offers a 38T for use with the nice hub adapter he sells, I've been concidering giving one a try myself since im plenty happy with a 40-42 mph cruise speed and I figure ill still have that easy with a bit more power for the hills.

Great advice Dave.
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!

Last edited by mapbike; 06-04-2014 at 06:27 PM.