View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: I was hit by a car last night...

Originally Posted by FFV8 View Post
After nearly 50 years of dealing with the police, all I can say is get used to it.

"We have investigated ourselves, and determined that we have done nothing wrong"

A nice touch having EMS make a diagnosis.

However, if the situation was reversed, you would be on the hook for everything they could dream up. A couple of years ago here a spandexer blew through a stop sign at about 30mph - right in front of a pickup. Messed him up bad, and he turned out to be an off-duty cop. The poor driver went through the wringer even though two other drivers saw the whole thing.

Are they going to reimburse you for the damage to the bike?
They told me that because the damage to the bike and the cop car were similar, neither one of us would have to pay for eachothers damages. We have to get them fixed ourselves, or in the cop's case by someone else.

Luckily I have 3 front rims/tires/tubes that will work on this bike so I was able to have my parents go get me another wheel to take the bike home.

Also, I was able to stand on this rim and make it somewhat true again. There are no bent spokes, so I think that I will be able to take it to a local shop and get it trued. Anyone have any thoughts on this?