Thread: Jag cdi
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Jag cdi

Originally Posted by Toothy View Post
Highjack all you want......I'm learning a lot. I hope I didn't get ripped off. The other forum seems to endorse. It's like watching TV ads during an election year.
I agree, highjacked threads have given me the opportunity several times to learn something extra.

As far as getting ripped off, that is all a metter of what you want for your bike, if best top speed and highest rpm potential aren't important to you and you are a rider who just toodles around at a moderate speed, then the jag will fit that bill just fine, but if you're looking for best rpk potential and are setting the bike up to have its maximun top speed and want to cruise at a higher rpm then the jag will rob you compared to what a stock cdi will allow the engine to do, all of this depends on what the engine is actually capable of though, if the engine build itself isn't able to reach high rpms then you may not notice much difference between the two in that area, in my experience with a cdi that had the timing set to retard at high rpms my bike that would run mid 40's MPH at its limit would only do 37 MPH after changing nothing but the cdi, I put my old beat up stock cdi back on tha bike and my top speed and better rpm came right back, this bikestill has the stock unit on it and I cruise 43-45mph all day long on the flat if I choose and there isn't a big head wind to buck.....

It has been proven by others just like myself that the retarded timing at high rpm works as a rev limiter and limits top speed, if you engine is capable of higher rpms that is will turn with a jag cdi, you will see an increasein rmp and speed if you switch to a stock unit most likely.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!