View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: New here, with a DIY Chainsaw Bike

Diesel had its first major meltdown situation today. The stock exhaust flange connecting to the newly constructed header gave way, ripping the studs through the mounts. The studs are still torqued down tightly, but that stock flange for the spark arrestor screen is a goner. Mounted support beams to help hold the extra weight of the new exhaust, and all. Still, I chalked this up to work hardening and vibration.

Luckily, I was a couple blocks from home when it happened. The exhaust managed to stay attached to the bike via the support structure around it. I hit the kill switch, stopped to loosen the tension bolt, and pedaled it home to avoid overheating or damaging the engine.

Then, I grabbed my other chainsaw bike and got back on the road again. Thank goodness I built another. Nice to have that around in case of a problem. Number two seriously saved the day.

The plan so far is to build a flange and weld it to a pre bent pipe to fit exactly the way I want it to. Now that I'm no longer limited by the stock flange, the design can be modified further. If that doesn't pan out, I can always make another cap flange for the header and improve the supports.

The port is too small for a kit exhaust, and I've never seen another quite this size and shape. It's got to be customized around the motor mounts and back tire anyway, so this isn't much of a problem. The muffler will be the easy part. That flange being strong and matched is the crux of the entire job.

Here goes nothing.

Last edited by Lightning Boy; 05-22-2014 at 11:02 PM.