View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: 1st build is to fast

Originally Posted by avery08 View Post
I built a cranbrook with a kit from it's a lot of fun.I built it for my 14 year old son.Is it possible to lower the top speed.I'd like to slow it down a bit while he gets used to it.He's a teenager so I'm sure he'll go as fast as he can.Thanks.......
you can put a larger rear sprocket on the lower gear ratio, that is the best thing I know of, you will need a longer chain if you go with a larger sprocket, I would just get another chain and a couple master links so I could ad the extra length needed for the larger sprocket and then if you wanted to gear it back up some for more speed later on you could just reverse engineer the chain by removing the extra length and bingo... right back the way it was.

Here is a link that will take you to a forum members parts page, scroll down and you will see the sprockets he sells, a 48T is about $12 + shipping and he has a larger 56T also, but I think the 48T would be best, a 59T will have that thing at a very low top speed with crazy torque on the bottom end, a 48T will have it running at what he can likely peddle the bike at top speed at.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!