View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: What kind of moterized bike should I get?

That is just a 24" 3-speed Macargi Rover bike but the system works fine on a 26" 3-speed bike.
The Rover was ~$230 delivered.

The 36V electric motor kit was ~$400 delivered from

The 36V Battery had pretty wimpy stats at 12Ah but came with a mounting rack that would mount direct to a mountain bikes front downtube via the water bottle mount holes, comes out via a keylock, and came with a charger delivered for ~$370.

The system would work just dandy on a used 10-speed type bike for under $800 and trust me, gears make all the difference in the world.

It's a cool system, and as green and quite as you get on a motor assisted bicycle which would really impress your green friends.

All that aside they really are a pleasure to ride and even that bike would hit 30MPH in 3rd gear, they have the least amount of maintenance, and you can park it your kitchen with no ill effects.[/QUOTE]

Something like this seems nice, it's a little more then I wanted to spend, but then again it's probably worth it as it will last me a very long time. I'm currently staying at my parents house, so the commute is actually 6 miles to work (40 min according to google maps by a regular bike). Are kits "easy" to build, one issue is that I don't have a reliable bike, I have two, but one won't ride the other is falling apart (Walmart bike).

Can electric bikes (like the one above) tug any weight? For instance I'm growing seedlings in pots and eventually if I live in the city, could I get a wagon or a small cart and put like 6- 10 potted plants in the cart and transport them a few miles. Would extra weight like that hurt the battery? Or would it just reduce use time?

I guess my plan now is to stay at my parents save up money for a kit and 10 speed bike, and then see where it goes. It will be a few weeks before I have money saved up so I'll be doing more research on batteries and will probably come back here for advice.