View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: A step-thru china girl. Almost.

I sat here and looked several times at what the erector set looking bracing is actually doing for you there BGW, I'm NOT knocking what you have done at all since I know it took time, work and planning to get done, but I would like to give my opinion on this set up also if its ok with you and if not i'll delete this post as soon as you tell me its not welcome.

Looking at that frame what I think will work great and be plenty strong enough that would eliminate all the bolt together stuff if you ever wanted to change it is some simple gusseting on both ends of that down tube and then I would weld a piece of flat strap steel the full length of that down tube the full length of the tube on the under side, that would give that down tube serious strength and the gussets will make it bullet proof strong at the weld points on each end of that down tube.

No doubt in my mind you will have a nice build when you get done, but as far as safety is concerned I can honestly tell you that welded gussets and a good back bone of flat steel on its edge running down the bottom side of that down tube, will be way stronger than the bolted together pieces yo u have on it now, but if you dont have a way to weld things you have to just do the best you can with what you have, been there done that many times myself.

best wishes BGW..

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!