View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Found a Sweet Engine, What Now?

Yes, I have only the front brake. I was planning a rear, but have not felt I needed it.

The Big Wheel has a 2 piston caliper, on a 300mm rotor. It is a heavy machine, and the little caliper will lock the 19" motorcycle tire if you use more than two fingers on the lever:

When I put the sidehack together, I was concerned that I was going down to a 180mm brake disc, so I planned for a rear brake. I found a 180mm rotor I thought was a bicycle rotor:

But it was about 1mm thicker, and as you can see I had to re-drill the 6 bolt pattern. If you look at the pad marks on it, I think some of the bicycle rotors might work. As long as the braking surface is mostly round. Bike parts tend to be thin - the spandex crowd worries about grams.

I looked around on e-bay, and found the same rotor I used. Apparently it was used on some sort of scooter:

Scooter brake rotor

while not a direct bolt on, it is beefier than the Avid G2 Rotor, and about the same price.

I know there are some 290mm bike rotors out there, and that would work too. I had to remove a little forging flash from the caliper to clear the spokes - a larger diameter rotor would move the caliper away from the spokes.