View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Just bought a TIG Welder but Ive never welded in my life?

Originally Posted by oldtimer54 View Post
I had the amps up to high and the TIG was melting through the thin metal. Going to start low and move the amps up. I think I need a foot pedal? Thanks for the advice keep it coming.
If you were "burning through" then you'll want to lower the amps, not raise them. Not familar with your machine but I'd say start at 30 amps and see where that takes you on thin metal.
Also don't try to make one long weld. Stitching is better on thin stuff. tack here, move away and make another tack. Keep doing that making short tack welds until the parts are held together then go back and start filling in the gaps but again use the stitch and skip method. The thinner the material you're welding the more experience it will take to do a good job.

You'll also eventually see the problem of your work bending, or leaning in toward the side you're welding on. This is due to metal shrinkage. Try alternating the weld from one side to the other, if possible, to keep your pieces from leaning or warping away from where you want them.

Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"