View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Some more old friends return.

700' s are great! But try to get 36 spokes at least- there's a lot of 32 spokes out there, especially in flip/flop wheels

also recommend a 1 inch or so wide rim as oppossed to 3/4" because you can't go more than 32mm wide on the narrow rims- although my 50 has had those on them for several years- the back tires wear a bit faster-

having raced on the road, I like them biut I'd recommend about 35 to 38mm wide- lightweight and fast rolling - large profile for bumps!

Just replaced a 27" back wheel on my 66 build that kept breaking spokes with a700c flip/flop hub and alloy sprocket bolted directly to the side- really lines up great and LOTS of chain stay clearance on the frame- no tensioner!

so both my builds are direct bolted on sprockets to high flange smooth sided flip/flop hubs I drilled myself in the six bolt disk brake pattern.

Disk brake rear hubs are available to, but I think they'd put the sproket out a bit more towards the frame, and I'm not sure how well they'd lock on

On this last one I used titanium bolts and double nuts- the whole assembly saves all kinds of weight over a normal steel sprocket and rag joint.

with a lightweight 415 trike/industrial chain and no tensioner- it's a whole lotta weight i'm not lugging around- and the chains roll better too.

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 03-15-2014 at 11:45 AM.