View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Making new cable ends

Both of you have good ideas. The brass tubing method sounds good as well as wrapping with 22 ga wire.

For our throttle cables I use 3/32" brass tubing, 50/50 solder, NoCorode past flux and a Weller soldering gun. The brass tubing works well as the cable end that lifts the throttle slide in the NT/NT Speed and RT carbs.

For the handlebar lever end I've used Desert Rat's idea using fishing weight leads.
I never use stainless steel cables if I think I might have to solder them. I also had a bike brake cable that was spiral wound around a teflon coating. It wouldn't take solder either.

A clean surface is critical. I like Brake-Clean as a solvent to remove any oil or grease from the cable before soldering. Soak for a few seconds, agitating then blow dry with compressed air or let it air dry.

As far as 'enough heat'; if the solder melts and flows into the cable strands, it's hot enough. I don't agree with using a torch, MAP or propane to solder a cable. Too much heat in my opinion. And Tim is correct about the solder 'wicking' too far into the cable. Too much and it will loose the flexibility near the end where it might be needed. The engine end of a clutch cable being the exception. I try to keep at least an inch of the cable soldered to prevent unraveling of the strands at the clutch actuator arm on a 2 stroke where the cable stop is located.

Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"