View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Exclamation Re: NEW... a journey recounted in paragraphs!

AUGUST 2013 stll...

The next logical step is hubs, if you want a long haul bicycle; you have to keep it rolling! I wanted to build a bicycle that could charge phones and power lights. I ordered a Sturmey-Archer XL-FDD which is a 90-mm sealed drum brake with a 6v dynamo ($90 amazon). The rear hub is a Grubee HD Rear hub with a band drum brake. The braking power of either alone is not enough for a quick stop, both together are a dream with break-in and adjustment. The rear hub offsets the wheel, to the passenger side though. Which brings me to the question, "But doesnt this require a full teardown of the wheels?" I didnt know spokes before, i still don't. It's that easy, with the guide from i built them both in two-hours. I did not however measure for my new DT-Swiss stainless spokes, I went to Bike-N-Hike in Longmont but any reputable service center should measure and order for you. Powder coated the rims from huffy (kind of regret, 500 miles in and already have a dent) and the rest is history. These are lifetime components if treated correctly.

Last edited by Going2Hell; 03-07-2014 at 12:58 AM. Reason: ADDED PICTURES...