View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: Fat Bike/ Friction set up / Ideas?

Originally Posted by a_dam View Post
It doesn't really make sense to say the tire is "too wide" for a factory-made friction drive. Staton (and others) typically have a "channel", a 3-sided box where the drive roller is supported with bearings at both ends. So a wider tire would just need a wider channel and a wider (longer) drive roller. Of course, if you don't plan on doing mods yourself, you are stuck with what the manufacturers supply.

It's a shame, though. A fat bike would be ideal for a friction drive. And don't believe that friction drives eat up tires. Well, they do if you use a very rough roller and especially if the roller pressure is not right. But if you intend to do mostly fair-weather riding on the streets, one of those fat tires would probably do a thousand miles with a FD.
EXACTLY !!! The wide tire lends it self perfectly to the friction drive - I have always been slightly ahead of the curve lol This makes it tough -- ya just a wider channel and extended drive shaft (well the mounting brackets would have to be a bit wider for the wider channel lol) wont be long till someone realizes and makes it happen (wish I could find them now) / just hope its in my lifetime lol -- Looking into other drive options now with others on this thread... this forum ROCKS