View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 05:16 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Originally Posted by maniac57 View Post
I'd trade all this miserable rain and freezing for some fresh snow to go out in on the ATC.
Finally got it running again snow.
Running around totally sideways all night in fresh snow is all I miss about Illinois.
Well, that and the local dirt track...
Fresh snow we've got! Had to clear the driveway AGAIN today (about 3 inches). It's 2 degrees below right now, 4 AM. I am more than sick of this winter. Tennessee is supposed to have some nice ice storms in store Sun/Mon.

Stripped the frame to bare metal yesterday - will post pics later.

I was thinking of a way to pretty-fy my kickstand. Black powdercoat would be nice, if I had powdercoat. Another thought was to apply a thin layer of epoxy glue, then slip a piece of black shrink-wrap over and shrink it tight. I have some large stuff for electrical wires that might work. I'd need about a 16-inch length.

Then it hit me. The kickstand is 1/2 inch round steel rod. I have 1/2 inch aluminum round. So I bent one up.

In the pic I have two old kickstands and the new one. The old one on the end is very rusty. That's how they get after 40 years when the plating (cadmium?) wears off. The center one was about that rusty. I completely sanded it and then covered it with a 2-part polymer EnviroTex. Looked great for about a year or two. But the kickstand always eventually gets hit by the crank and the coating chipped. Then the rust started growing under the coating.

On the end is the unfinished aluminum stand. I just have to cut the ends to length and drill the hole for the pin. Bending that bar was a mutha. I always underestimate the strength of aluminum. Gonna be a nice shiny, non-rusting kickstand. And much lighter... those steel ones are retardedly heavy. Finished pics to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kickstand1.jpg (59.6 KB, 27 views)