Thread: Carburetor Law
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 12:51 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: Carburetor Law

Originally Posted by Theon View Post
When I was your age I was offered five different apprenticeships,
I could have been an Auto electrician, Spray painter, lines man or house wiring sparky.
And that was just the what was offered to me before I chose to be an Eletrical Instrument Fitter.
However I had been working in my fathers Small town Mechanical shop since I was probably 12. I worked there just for parts for my car. The only money I received was for small tedious jobs that my father didn't want to know about, and I would charge people $5 for 1/2 an hour or more of messing around with some old piece of crap that they probably couldn't afford to pay properly for.
I was very lucky, a lot of my mates couldn't afford to live of the $130 a week that was a first year apprentice wage at the time and gave up there apprenticeships to work as a shop assistant getting payed twice what I was.
Things have changed a lot since then!
And the opportunity's that I had were rare then.
Since then I have only survived with out having to go away for work because I've been willing to do just about anything for what ever my friends can afford to pay.
A lot of my mates now have to work away just to keep there mortgage.
All I'm saying is don't be too fussy.
If you show a good attitude to work, people will offer you better jobs.
While I was Flipping burgers recovering from a broken Femur, I was offered a job as a tour Guide, walking rough terrain. It hurt, but it was better than flipping burgers.
Mate if you got no skills to get your self the job you want, volunteer.
and how long ago was that ar we talking 20 30 years ago