View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: ignorant drivers thread !!!!

Originally Posted by 2door View Post
I've said for years that getting a driver's license in this country is too easy. Everyone who applies should have to go through something similar to getting a private pilot's ticket. And, they should have to prove proficiency annually. They don't pass or qualify, they don't get a licence. Simple as that.

That would take some of the morons off the road. Of course you'd still have the ones who would drive illegally, without a license, but in that case you make the penalty so severe that they'd think twice before doing it. Make it a federal offence; just like flying a plane illegally. 2 to 5 years.

Way, way back in high school, the Norwegian exchange student I talked to - Ann Lodeng, said that in Norway their driver's ed classes last two full years minimum. You have to score nearly perfect. You don't get a license if you don't pass. Dangerously reckless drivers get their license taken away and never get it back. Drunk drivers also get their license taken away and never get it back in addition to whatever prison time is imposed. BTW: as I recall she said that was for most first-time offences. People know this over there and nobody ends up surprised. They just don't play around. They expect that if you're on the road, you should actually KNOW how to drive. That was how she put it.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 02-08-2014 at 08:42 PM.