View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: Longtime lurker, first time poster

I went with Avid BB7 disc brakes front and rear. Rims are Alex 26" rims. 32 hole front, and 36 hole rear. 14G black spokes. Front hub is a run of the mill sealed bearing 6 hole disc mount. Both rotors are 160mm Avid's. For the front, I used an adapter from It has a tab that fits into the dropout, but on the first test before the motor was installed, I found it had WAYYYYY too much movement to be safe. I ended up replacing the fork for a beefier one with threaded bosses for fender struts. I drilled a hole in the disc caliper mount and threaded it to match the threaded boss on the fork. Ran a steel allen screw through the whole works and voila! Disc brakes. For the rear, I used some steel flat stock to make my own mount. Welded it to the frame.

The rear hub is a Sturmey Archer 8sp internal with a disc mount. This is paired up with the sickbikeparts HD shift kit. The whole thought process here is being able to cruise at 30mph without having the motor running at max rpm's.

The headset and bottom bracket shell have both been faced and chased. New stem, bars, layback seatpost...bottom bracket and crank arms came with the shift kit. I did have to order the adapter cups from them as well.

I actually welded the front motor mount to the frame as well as the rear upper mount for the shift kit. Motor vibration is all but gone it seems... at least when testing it in a bike trainer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140117_101226_394.jpg (293.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140117_101247_177.jpg (243.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140117_105003_751.jpg (272.8 KB, 42 views)