View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: dialing in your welder feed rate setting

Originally Posted by 2door View Post
My 30+ year old, no brand name hood. Heaven only knows how many hours of welding this thing has seen. It works every time.
I use a magnifier lens behind the shield and for small close up work, a pair of reading glasses helps. Funny, I didn't use to need those.

I bought the Miller 251292 Classic Series 8-12 Variable Shade Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet back in 2012 for $89.00

It has two AA batteries that you change yourself. It warns you by flashing a led inside the helmet before the batteries are run down where they will not operate the helmet. Before using the helmet you press a button and you test to see if the batteries are good. The test does a quick from clear to shade of the screen twice and you know it is working.

I know there can always be a malfunction and there is danger. I also know the issues around the kind of auto shade helmets that have no replaceable or easily replaceable batteries that no one supports.

I also got the magnifier lenses that there are various powers you can buy for this helmet, so you don't have to wear glasses under the hood. I have not tried them yet, but one day.