View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 02:00 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Your government at work:

Originally Posted by MotorBicycleRacing View Post
Abel Tasman "discovered" NZ with a bunch of Maori's living there.
Hence the Dutch name.
Captain Cook came sailing along later.
Full marks MBR Yes the Dutch claimed the naming rights and Captain Cook came sailing along later, but for a short while before 1860 there was a certain amount of competition over whether the British or the French were going to claim New Zealand as a colony. There are some places in New Zealand where the French influence lingered on for a long time, but overall New Zealand is strongly based on British colonial foundations.

I haven't been down to the local district council offices yet to ask if a gas engined bicycle can be used on the cycleways, but I think it's highly likely that they will tell me, 'No'. Under the traffic regulations an electric power assisted bicycle is classified as being the same as a normal pedal bicycle so I think there won't be any problem with using an e-bike on the cycleway.
Owning several classic pedal bikes as I do I've been along the cycleways on everything from a 1940's ladies Raleigh to a fully tricked out alloy group set equipped 10 speed from the early 1980's. Living with a fatigue illness as I do though owning an e-bike for riding on the cycleway would be about the best of both worlds as I really do love riding a bicycle.

If paying bicycle registration meant that more good and well maintained cycleways became available here in NZ I'd be more than happy to dig for my coin purse and pay up.
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy chocolate which is almost the same thing
Home of the Kotanga Tramway.