Thread: winter blues
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: winter blues

i been riding in the snow up here in new england for the last week or so and i got around to putting chains on my rear tire and studding the front with 8 x 1/2 in lath screws.

well thr chains work out great..... until you hit 35mph LOL !!!! then i started feeling slaps and snaps and stinging slaps against the back of my legs and back ! it was the chains coming to pieces at 40mph !!!!!! wow that stung ! so i pulled over and clipped off the rest of the remaining chain with my multie tool and took to home. the working load of the cheap chain i bought is only 10-12lbs LOL ! the inertia forced it appart, i am shure with a better chain though this system will work quite well

the studded front tire however works unbelievably well ! the 1/2 in screws stick out about 1/8 or less and its just enough for good traction but not so bad it cant be run on pavement.

i am going to stud the rear the same way as i did the front. first pic is front tire and stud patter there are about 120 studs.

the chain i used was a cheap decrotive chain that had links crimped together and not welded links, it litteraly flew apart at the crimps at around 30mph ! leaving only the zip ties behind around the spokes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131219_215950.jpg (494.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg dddd.jpg (184.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg ddddd.jpg (171.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg gggg.jpg (153.4 KB, 29 views)
here to stay and compleatly insane ! deal with it lol

Last edited by rogergendron1; 12-19-2013 at 09:56 PM.