View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Butterscootch Blunder - Don't buy Huffy

Originally Posted by Intrepid Wheelwoman View Post
We don't have Walmart here in New Zealand we have the Warehouse (Big Red Shed). The bikes they sell look different and have different names, but they all suffer from poor assembly faults as a rule. At a recent sale at the Big Red Shed I purchased a seven speed, full suspension 'Repco' mountain bike for my daughter and when I got it home and could properly examine it I found exactly what I expected; - the wheel bearings and BB bearings were adjusted far too tight and they were innocent of grease.
To the Warehouse's credit they did have a yellow notice in a plastic sleeve attached to the bike saying, 'WARNING. In the interests of safety it is recommended that you have this bike assembled by a skilled mechanic.' Only I do wonder how often anybody buying one of these bikes does that.

My daughter is planning on installing an electric motor drive onto this bike once I've finished giving it a complete service and check over so I fully intend to be very thorough. She is my daughter afterall and she is very precious to me.
You are so right here, people get into trouble on management bike because they assume all is good..... I dont care where its made or who makes the bike, it is wise to look it over very good or have someone with moderate to excellent mechanical skills look it over for you while you watch to make sure everything is inspected, the small amount of time it takes to look things over is a small investment and small amount of trouble compared to the cost and pain that could accur from a sime failure because things were not inspected.

Im not perfect at it but I like to check for loose bolts and nuts and wiggle my bikes and check to be sure I dont have slop in bearing adjustments and such, my bikes really take a beating where I ride and things have got to be right and check often, thank goodness for loctite or I never would keep my bikes together but honestly I rarely ever have to tighten or adjust anything on my bikes, they hold up well.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!