View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 01:13 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: New to motor biking.

Originally Posted by Billy1981 View Post
I'm looking to go about 35-40mph just to cruise around town. I've never built one so I don't my skill level. I am a helicopter mechanic so I do have knowledge and know I can do it. I was thinking about buying a motor kit? I'm in no hurry, I've been looking at bikes for a while and think it would be a fun hobby. Thanks.
Hi Billy,

A cruising speed of 35 to 40mph will require a top speed of 45 to 50mph. It won't be easy, it won't be cheap, and it won't be as reliable as you think. Bicycles are not designed for those kinds of sustained speeds. Remember your first build is a learning experience and the learning curve is steep... My advise is to take your time, be very patient, learn as much as you can and apply that experience to the next build.

I'm a toolmaker and a biker (motorcycles), I thought it would be easy to build a motorized bicycle. Way to much money, many headaches and delays, and 5 months later I finished my first bike. My goal was 35mph top speed. I got what I wanted and I'm very satisfied, but I rarely go full throttle it's just to much strain on the little engine. The bike cruises real nice at 25mph. Hope this helps we are all here for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_Bike_left front.JPG (63.9 KB, 22 views)