View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: What I found while cleaning out the garage.

Did a little more cleaning up this evening and uncovered my stock of useful steel scrap that I'd liberated from the council tip a while ago. I'm pleased about that because there is nothing worse than going and buying steel that you've already got, but couldn't find.
i found two more 21inch motorcycle wheels with drum brakes, - that makes six in all, - three with discs and three with drum brakes. What on earth was i planning to do?

Cleaning up has been bitter-sweet though. I have several road and track bikes which I'm never going to be able to ride anymore. I'm not saying I was ever any good at it, but I used to enjoy going fast on those narrow tyred beauties. New Zealand used to have its own bicycle industry and I've got two representatives, a 1931 Empire track bike with a chrome moly frame that's as light as a maiden's sigh and a 1980's Healing roadie complete with its original trick alloy group set of components.
I've got a Malvern Star as well that I was halfway through rebuilding before I got ill, a no-name roadie that I picked up somewhere that has nice geometry and a1950's English Wearwell pathracer that somehow acquired a set of very sweet French made hubs and rims during it's long life. Would you believe the Wearwell got tossed in a skip by relatives who were cleaning up after grandad died. They thought it was 'just some old bike'. Idiots.
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy chocolate which is almost the same thing
Home of the Kotanga Tramway.