View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: Motorized bicycle setup for long distance riding

Originally Posted by rogergendron1 View Post
the lifan clon of the honda pit bike motor with the auto clutch id the best clone around !!! i would go with a lifan 50cc auto if it would fit but a morini 50cc 2 banger would be reliable and powerfull too. yeh a gx160 would need to be registered so if you want to stay around 50cc the lifan 50 auto or the denardis/morini is you best bet
the lifan would give you years of trouble free smooth 4 stroke power and operation and the denardis/morini would be more prefomance oriantated but would still be up to the task !

mabe a 50 - 70 cc demo saw motor rear mount and chain drive ?
I have been looking at this Lifan and it is one awesome engine. I wish it was a bit lighter so I could justify putting it into a normal bicycle frame, haha. Since BarelyAWake's post I have been looking into 3 wheeled recumbents and it is looking more and more appealing. I'd have to find someone who could fabricate a frame for me and I have absolutely no idea how much that would run (probably more than I am willing to spend).

When all is said and done I planned on spending about $1200 - $1500 on my bike and then some upgrades later like a custom gas tank which runs about $300 alone.