View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Vintage Schwinn or 70's Free Spirit?

Originally Posted by maniac57 View Post
The white bike has a suitable frame for a china kit, but those thin rims won't hold up well to motor power. They can be great bikes, but a mountain bike would probably be a better first build due to heavier rims and tires. Look for something with V-brakes at least, a steel frame shaped like your white bike, and decent components.
Schwinn, GT, Diamondback, specialized, all made good mid-range mountain bikes in the late 80's early 90's that can be found at good prices now.
Your free spirit will work, but is not a great platform for a motor.
Your schwinn is the wrong kind of frame for a bolt in kit due to the low top bar....
It CAN be used, but requires major modification to work.

I will add that most of the mens Beach cruiser bikes that you will find at the big box stores are also good first build bikes, low cost and can make a great bike if done right.

I have a Huffy that I build a couple years ago that has been a really good bike, some on here have nothing good to say about the Huffy bikes but then there are others like myself that have had excellent builds with them.

pic of my Huffy build all dirty and dusty, main thing with the cheaper bikes is that all bearings are properly greased with high quality grease and all bearing tensions are correct and then they make good builds.

Best wishes for what ever you do, and be sure you don't build a bike with the thin narrow wheels like what is on both of those bikes you posted, they're good old bikes but a chug hole at 30mpg my prove to be a very ugly face plant if one of those thin wheels collapsed under the stress.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!