View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Well, I found out that my bike absolutely hates 9000ft elevation. Didn't think it was gonna start --- ran like poop when it did. Never did get the carb adjusted to where it was acceptable. Decided the bike won't go to the mountains anymore.

With this in mind, I think that a question we should ask a 'newbie' is "what elevation do you live?" when they post that 'won't start' thread.
My 1976 Yamaha RD400C had a a small section/portion of the intake airbox that you could remove for high altitude riding. Removing this part returned the performance back to reasonable levels at ~ 8 thousand feet and above (it was a real dog at these altitudes unless you removed this part). Maybe you could try running a less restrictive air filter or airfilter cover at high altitudes...

Anyway, I recently ordered a couple of stock connecting rod small end bushings and received needle type bearings by mistake. Today I checked one of these needle bearings out only to find that there is no way I can run them. There's way way too much end-play or "side to side" clearance between the needle bearing/rod end and the piston pin bosses. Oh well, I've got another upgraded bushing on hand that I should be able to press in and ream as needed (I wanted to try a "practice" run on the bushing replacement procedure with a cheap stock bushing first).