View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Thinking of motorizing straight on through winter

Caduceus; Frostbite Falls, huh? You'll have to keep an eye out for my ol' pals Rocky and Bullwinkle for me. (But I suppose you've heard that one before.) Anyway, my commute is six miles, one way. It's a pretty do-able distance even in winter. Not too short, not too long. My instinct tells me that you're right about having two studded tires in winter; I can imagine my drive wheel slipping and sliding quite a bit. But I'm also a bit worried about a driven wheel causing too much wear on those studs. Still, I think I'm going to test the matter this year. Could you give me a lead on where to find that handlebar mounted faring? With a lower faring to cover legs and motor plus that, I'd have no doubt about my ability to ride in anything.

Barely Awake; we're already on the same page as far as winter clothing and dexterity are concerned. I use rain gear as an outer shell. My bibs are a woven nylon-type material, as opposed to a sheet of pvc. (Though even that would be acceptable.) Underneath I wear sweat pants and sweat shirt. One bonus: you change at the end of the workday, you come outside in the winter weather with everyone else whimpering around you and you feel like you're wearing pajamas. It can't be more comfortable. If I'm certain of no cold rain, then I'll wear a cotton (uninsulated) jacket on top. Two if it's pretty cold. One or two plus a rain jacket if it's really cold. There's some changing of coats depending on wind conditions. I've reached the age, too, where I often have to remove a coat when I reach the uphill on my commute. My internal thermostat simply doesn't have the range that it used to have. For my feet I start with a plastic shopping bag on my bare foot. Good wool socks over that. I wish I'd stumbled onto that idea years ago. My feet have always been a weak point for me. They get cold easy. But wrapped in plastic I'm far more comfortable. And I can figure out why. My feet still sweat, but the socks stay dry. Clean, too, for that matter. Over that I might put another layer of plastic if I'm concerned about deep cold. Then almost any boot that I care to wear. The boots themselves are no longer important. Over that (below, say, freezing) motorcycle boot covers. Comfy feet.

I might have to add layers on a motor bike. I haven't experimented yet with this very much. I'll just have to learn.

One small tip for anyone considering the sweat pants/shirts. Buy plenty and replace often. They'll lose comfort and warmth as they get dirty and as the 'nap' wears down. And they're cheap anyway. Wearing new ones that are still in good shape, you are literally almost as comfortable riding your bike as you would be wrapped up in clean sheets and blankets lying in your bed. It really is that good.

exseler; Studs on dry pavement are not all that bad. You can hear them 'clicking' on the pavement. And it does kinda pain you to hear that. You can hear those expensive studs wearing away bit by bit in conditions where they're not needed. But you get over that because you know you've got them when you do need them. Which could happen at any moment. And I think that I do feel some rolling resistance. But even that is not all that bothersome. For the security that they give, you don't feel that it's a bad bargain. Granted I won't be setting speed records. But I'm not trying. In winter I'm deliberately going pretty slow.

It takes a little getting used to, but not much.