View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: My first build. Need some advice and I have some questions.

Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods View Post
Welcome aboard. Don't worry that your post was lengthy. We like posts that contain plenty of precise info, for that matter. You did just fine on that.

The bike you've described will be fine. There's no doubt about that. But I'm also wondering if you might be better off starting with something more modest.

Your riding conditions sound almost ideal. The only downside I can think of is that you're likely to be dealing with a lot of stops and starts if you'll be riding entirely on residential streets. So you might want to go with a larger than normal drive sprocket. Or roller, if you go friction drive. To get the most low speed torque.

The bike you described above will likely be plenty up to the task you're describing. I'm only a bit concerned that you might spend $1200 or so only to find that the bike doesn't quite please you. If you find that you don't like, for instance, your stance then that might be enough to make the bike not good enough.

So why don't you consider doing a $400 build? Maybe a china girl engine and 48 or 50 tooth drive sprocket. Maybe a friction drive. They both ought to be able to handle a Phoenix residential commute. You'll get practiced at keeping these things up and running. Then when the day comes that you want something higher-grade, you'll have more experience. Then you'll likely know exactly what you want.

You read my mind on the points you made here, spend the little bit extra maybe on getting a better wrist pin bearing and better KMC415H chain and then if you go with the right china girl kit you will likely have a very dependable ride, in my experience a 44T sprocket gives loads of low end power on a well tuned china girl bike and will cruise at a comfortable RPM at 20mph.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!