View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: My first build. Need some advice and I have some questions.

Thanks for the replies! I know it is quite excessive and I did originally plan on just getting a friction drive kit and a used bike off craigslist and calling it a day. I do realize that I am eventually going to want to upgrade to something more stylish though.

I without a doubt want a custom tank on it, and that is where I started. Obviously to mount the custom tank I am going to need one of the Schwinn straight bar frames, which isn't a huge deal because they aren't too expensive.

From there, it's just a matter of do I want to buy something cheap now knowing I will want to upgrade it soon anyways?

Take the forks for example. I could definitely get myself some cheap "Schwinn Style" springer forks for $50, but I am not sure if I want to be riding on those 75 miles a week.

That is the question though. Am I overdoing it? Will some cheap "Schwinn Style" forks work just fine?

I am definitely going to hold off on the custom tank and shift kit till later. I've also decided that until then I can just use a coaster brake on the back. I've found this seller who offers a 26" x 2.125" front tire with the Sturmey Archer 90mm drum brake and 12 gauge spokes and a rear wheel with a coaster brake for less than $200. That will save me some money.

I'll probably rework some of these numbers, haha.

Also, it should be noted that I am going to be selling my motorcycle so I will have a few thousand to spare.

Last edited by Herdo; 09-25-2013 at 02:40 AM.