Re: New here from Phoenix Arizona!
Thank you everyone for the replies! You have all been a huge help.
Andrew, here are the laws in question:
ARIZONA HB 2796
28-2516. Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition
A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title:
1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
2. Registration is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
4. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.
5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
6. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.
7. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.
B. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.
The current law states 48cc or less. As for using the canals, cities themselves have the right to impose their own ordinances, like Scottsdale has done. However, the link you posted to the SRP Canal Safety Tips refers to "Motorized Vehicles" which is a specifically defined vehicle that does NOT include motorized bicycles, motorized wheelchairs, motorized skateboards, etc.
Dave31, thank you so much for that info. I will be registering my bike as soon as it's ready to ride!
KCvale, thanks again for getting involved and making a difference. And thanks for the tips about printing up a receipt.
I do have a question for everyone though. Was I correct in thinking the 5:1 4G T drive is the better one? I believe that is the 2010 model correct? What is the new one and what is the gear ratio? Also, could someone explain to me what this all means? Is this ratio from the gear box to the back sprocket that drives the wheel, or is the 5:1 ratio between two gears in the gear box?
Thanks again everyone.