View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: 4-stroke & jackshaft in a stock 50's straight-bar Panther frame???

Originally Posted by chainmaker View Post
The hf 79 will definitely fit, I posted a picture of it in your other thread.
Agreed. No argument here. It just isn't the 4-stroke I had in mind is all. A Whizzer engine would be great except they're pricey, and mating a jackshaft would undoubtedly require more fab work than I'm qualified for, and the HF just doesn't look like the picture I had in my head.

But for the sake of discussion, we'll negate my first issue which is aesthetics - the simple fact that the HF doesn't look like what I wanted in my mind's eye, but moving right into: How do you put a jackshaft kit on an HF? The only thing I can see working out there is to buy SBP shift kit and then try to find a way to make it suit the new engine. I don't have a kit to look at, so it may be really easy, but being a noob, I had it in my head that I would "kit" something at first, and improve from there, hopefully selling lesser parts to help pay for upgrades along the way. If the HF engine makes the SBP shift kit work with a simple pulley swap or some-such, then I can easily justify using an HF, but as of now I just don't know how it would work out.

That in-frame tank your bike is wearing is why I bought a Panther, and the lack of a "perfect" 4-stroke is a little bit of a bummer for me, but I'll start digging up info on jackshafted HF's so's to see what I can see. Kk