View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Toasted a wheel bearing on my Cranbrook.

Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods View Post're breaking my heart.......

I just ordered a Wheelmaster heavy duty wheel today. Are you saying that even those aren't up to the task?

Here's what makes it even harder; I wanted to order the Worksman with 11 ga spokes. But there were none in stock and there was no info on how long it would be.

This is getting worse and worse......

But wait....gotta pull myself together here....even if those Wheelmasters don't do the trick I'll have plenty of parts..I can cobble something together....

But it might be a long winter...
Its for sure that SB And others here are much more of an expert on wheels and hubs than I am, but I just wanted to say that the last wheelmaster wheel I bought has the Shimano 110E Hub and as it has been mentioned many times it seems that the Shimano hubs hold up really well for most people, im one that argues that a cheaper bike can be a good one and hold up well if all is good and done right, but just to clear things up on that Im also one that will completely agree that the older bike parts such as an old Bendix hub will for sure be much better and more reliable than a cheap chinese part, I have a Huffy that has the stock rear wheel still on it, it has 1000 miles on it now and shows no signs of any wear at all, it is a black wheel with the large spokes..... maybe the black wheels have a different hub than the chrome ones which seem to be the most common, I dont know why mine has held up so good but I think it has to do with the maintenance I did on it before the bike was ever even rode, who knows....... heck it may crap out the next time I ride it but the bearings are still as tight as they were the day I greased it and started using it 1000 miles ago and I have never had a wrench on it since.

SB and others are correct that the older American made parts are much better and will outlast the chinese stuff. But if bearings are not tensioned correctly and a hub is not properly greased it will fail no matter how old or new or brand.

Best wishes to all and keep the rubber side down.......

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!

Last edited by mapbike; 09-07-2013 at 10:04 PM.