View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Butterscootch Blunder - Don't buy Huffy

Originally Posted by 1kbike View Post
After some thought, I am gonna go ahead and stick with a Huffy. One, it is my first build and I don't expect it to last forever. I am hoping this will be a great way for me to learn. After all, I'd hate to plop out a lot of money on a bike and mess it up. So if they are POS's. I am not going to stress over it. I just want to have fun so, here I go. Who knows, maybe I will get lucky and get one that was built by a worker in China that was having a good day that day.

Oh yeah *snaps fingers* Wal-Mart has that extended warranty thing so I'll get that just in case so I wont be out if something should fail.
I'm pretty sure mounting an engine voids the warranty, but of course they'd have to prove it wasnt a bike issue to begin with.

I suppose in a way buying a cheap bike can be great for learning which parts will fail first, and thus what to watch for. Ideally, though, you'll take care of the whole bike to begin with, and take heed/warnings from other members here. For example, I'm using a norco front fork for the disk brakes on my Mongoose Creekside bike. when I put everything back together, my handlebars came loose not once, not twice, but three times in a week. I finally got around to using a 1/4" bit adapter on a 1/4" ratchet to tighten them up, havent had a problem since. When using the rag joint, the motor, even stock, can have enough yank to loosen up your spokes quite a bit over a couple weeks, and of course, watch your wheel bearings.

Bicycles aren't designed for the kinds of speeds, forces and vibrations these motors can put out consistently, if you buy a cheap enough bike, the motor could very well outlast it if you dont take care of it.
Skyhawk GT-5, Dax RT, RSE Reeds, Jag CDI, Drilled stock exhaust, Puch Hi.
List of HT hardware === Stop four-stroking!