View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: is anyone also finding a lack of interest?

Bluegoatwoods said,
"But anyway I'm not seeing a fall off of interest in these. But that's because I never saw much sincere interest in the first place. The people around me are mildly interested. But not enough to give any real thought to joining me.

And there's no doubt in my mind that part of it is their unwillingness to engage in activity that's regarded as peculiar."

You got it. If there were more home made motor bikes around it would be more acceptable and even cool. A half dozen guys having a good time riding their Whizzers or cool home mades on a group ride would be seen as very cool. An old Indian with a dog in a canoe sidecar is a curiosity worthy of a picture or two, smiles and waves... but is a little too far out to do it yourself.

I am amused sometimes when I take my bike to town and see Harley after Harley ride by with fat old guys wearing the same outfits, seemingly on the same bikes with expressions that say"... doan mess wit me... I go my own way... a wild one... an outlaw lookin' fer trouble" and all of them wearing outfits that say Harley Davidson on them with the same dew rags, etc. like uniforms as similar as a bunch of UPS drivers on motorcycles. Strange. And these are not cheap machines. But there are so many of them that nobody cares, nobody gives a second look. Then Aaniimoosh the wonder dog and I ride by on a 1950 Schwinn motor bicycle and scout troops stop en mass for a look, people wave and take pictures. It must really piss off some of the clones. You want to be manly? Quit worrying about looking tough and have some fun. Who cares what people think? Dare to be a kid again!
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...