View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

I lube my chains on the beast when they start getting a little noisy. Often what I do is roll up a piece of paper towel, fold it over and use the 'open' ends a bit like a mop-brush. Dip in a bit of oil, and then swab the chain. I turn the wheel to move the chain until I can get it all wet, then rotate a few more times to work the oil in.

On my cruiser I haven't had to lube the chain yet, but it soaked for a while (okay, 3 weeks I think) in a mix of "Phil's Tenacious Oil" and some stuff a neighbour gave me that (he said) they used to add to old differentials to keep them moving smoothly called "Microlon Compound 90" before I installed it. Around 2 oz. of each (half bottle of each). I just rolled the chain into a spiral to fit the bottom of an old plastic food keeper tub, poured them in on top and left it (with the lid on) where the sun would hit it in the afternoons. Also, I hung it from a hook for a day or two to let as much of the surplus drip off and back into the tub before putting it on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chain soak mix.jpg (142.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Chain draining.jpg (139.3 KB, 23 views)

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser