View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Possible concern with "new" partial project... gas tank fitting connection?

Originally Posted by fabgear View Post
Shows how "with it" I am right now....didn't even look at that post well enough to see that it was relating to machine thread. Yes, non-tapering thread for fuel? Definitely a gasket if I were to use those outside threads.

I should have no problem gently running a tap in there tomorrow and cut some 1/8" FNPT threads and run a threaded barb into it.

I wouldn't even try to use JBWeld on those tapered threads, but I'd definitely either use the teflon or pipe compound on the threads just as a backup... unless you have another suggestion. Obviously, I don't want to risk my safety over a $10 "correct" petcock, but this isn't my real project bike, so id rather just use what I can here rather than sinking in more money than I have to.

Thanks yet again,

Get you a tube of this at your local AutoZone or some other places may have it also, put this on the threads, screw the fitting into place and let set up over night, this stuff will last, gas and oil have no effect on it, I keep a tube in the shop always, it is a great sealer and a good contact cement type glue also. good stuff!

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!