Thread: I'm a rich man
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: I'm a rich man

Originally Posted by 2door View Post
I've used plain old spray paint on engines, both 2 and 4 stroke and never had any heat issues. I like to match the engine to the bike color and I've used DupliColor, Krylon, Rustoleum and model airplane paint and none of them have been affected by engine heat. That includes the area near the exhaust port/ pipe flange.
I think engine temperature is overrated. They just don't get that hot to need special high-temp paint.

I've done the same as you mentioned here Tom, my results were the same as yours, never had any of it burn off an engine.

I do like to use the engine paint or rattle can Lacquer though if I know it will ever get sprayed with any type of chemicals for cleaning off oil and gunk, some of the standard paints will curl up like you put paint stripper on them when chemicals like carb cleaner or brake cleaner get on them and that really sucks when you ruin a good paint job just trying to clean something off.....

Seen many engines cleaned well and sprayed with Acrylic Enamel or Alkyd Enamel Automotive or Industrial Farm type paints, they stay nice and shiny and nothing seems to effect them a bit.

Tractor Supply has a great selection of Alkyd Enamel paint in rattle cans and in quarts that can be reduced and a little hardener added to them for a really nice glossy paint job if one wanted to go that route, personally even though I have several spray guns I just go the easiest route and go rattle can.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!