View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Today was a LONG but very productive day of motorized bicycle repair. Last week I took a little spill and one of my forks was leaking oil. Today I took both forks apart, drained the oil, took the forks apart, cleaned the seals and the area around them, and reassembled. The forks don't seem to be leaking, but I'll have to take a ride to be sure. I also redid my headset bearings. Was having trouble with my steerer tube wiggling around, so I tightened the top cone really tight and it solved the problem, but I didn't like that solution. I got the idea from another thread to put loose bearings in the top bearing cup, so I did that today and it worked like a charm. No more wiggling and the fork turns freely, which is how it should be. I also put a beefier bolt and nylock nut where my front brake arm attaches to the bracket that holds it in place. Had to make the hole on the brake arm bigger to take the beefier bolt. The drill battery was dead, so I turned the drill bit by hand with a wrench. Worked like a charm. The only bad thing about today is that the forks were such a pita that it took me a total of about 6 hours to get everything done. But I'm this much closer to having a totally tip-top bike. All I need now is a new back wheel, which I'll be ordering with my next paycheck.