View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Last couple of times I rode, I noticed this weird 'squeak/creaking' noise. Tracked it down to the front wheel. Pulled the front wheel off, and the wheel didn't want to rotate on the axle. I never had been into the hub of this wheel, so I just thought that the factory over-tightened the cones.

Well, just to be safe, I removed everything to make sure there was enough grease on the bearings. As I loosened the cone, one of the ball bearings fell out. Hmmm.....bad bearing, I thought. Turns out that Huffy doesn't use a capture collar for their front ball bearings!! They were just loose in there! I guess I'm off to my LBS in the morning to see if I can fit a regular bearing in this hub............I'm assuming that Huffy saved about 10 cents a bike to omit these parts. I guess that the majority of their bikes don't go far enough for people to find this out.............
Just curious, what is the year of manufacture on your bike? Mine is a 2011 and I haven't been into the front hub yet, but the bike guy at Academy where I bought it from has. Dunno what all he did...
2 WHEELS: '11 Huffy Good Vibrations, '11 Skyhawk GT5, 44t, CNSV2, NGK BPR7HIX, Bosch wire, shutupexhaust, 26x1.75kevlar tires, Tektro C230's, new stupid Bell chain